Hello Guest

Windows Vista

• 21 Replies
Windows Vista
« on: June 16, 2006, 18:46:04 »
Anyone succeeded in creating an accelerated OpenGL context with LWJGL and Windows Vista Beta2?

I tried almost all compatibility options, but could not get Cultris to run. Sugesstions? Any information?
Download Cultris II, the fastest Tetris clone from http://gewaltig.net/

Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 19:18:24 »
From http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=394637

"OpenGL acceleration is disabled when dualview is enabled. This is an OS limitation in the beta and should be corrected in a future release."

That explains a lot!

Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 23:42:41 »
That wasn't the problem. OpenGL also doesn't work with a single screen...

Offline Matzon

Windows Vista
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:51:28 »
I've only run it in VMWare - So I dont even get Aero. I do however get constant - allow this - messages ;)

Vista RC2 + LWJGL 1.0 beta 3 + ATI Beta RTM drivers
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 23:10:26 »
Hello everyone,

I can confirm latest LWJGL public release does not work using Vista RC2 and the just released ATI Beta Vista RTM drivers.

My system is based on AMD X2 4200+ / ATI X700 PCI-E. OpenGL native applications are working properly on my system and I'm using JDK 6 b103 I think the problem is obviously linked to the security improvements at the heart of Vista.

Since I really need Vista support for my current project, I will try downloading and building the source tree to investigate the problem...

Here is the relevant output from WindowCreationTest :

Problem retrieving mode with 640x480x24@75
Problem retrieving mode with 800x600x24@75
Problem retrieving mode with 1024x768x24@75
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not find a valid pixel format
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.ja
va:52)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplayPeerInfo.<init>(WindowsDisplayPeerInfo
.java:50)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createPeerInfo(WindowsDisplay.java:28
8)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:681)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:657)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:641)
        at org.lwjgl.test.WindowCreationTest.initialize(WindowCreationTest.java:
92)
        at org.lwjgl.test.WindowCreationTest.main(WindowCreationTest.java:284)

Offline Matzon

Windows Vista
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 07:21:09 »
try running in admin mode
then try enabling compatibility stuff, specifically the aero setting

Windows Vista
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 11:14:42 »
I've trying all the possible combinations of vista admin mode / compatibility options without any success, namely :

- Run as administrator
- Disable desktop compositing
- Disable visual themes
- Compatibility mode (XP SP2 etc...)

without any access, I still got the same exception.

I've downloaded the subversion repository and I'm trying to compile the trunk of it, because I've seen in a recent changelog some changes in the way pixel formats are detected (getting rid of the dummy window), maybe it will help, or at least it will let me debug further.

Feedback / help highly appreciated.  :wink:

Windows Vista
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 13:11:18 »
Just tested software mode (using -Dorg.lwjgl.opengl.Display.allowSoftwareOpenGL=true)
, and it works okay without any tweak...

Offline Matzon

Windows Vista
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 13:42:36 »
just forgot! - ati hasn't supplied any OGL drivers yet, afaik. Only nVidia

Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 10:36:58 »
Hi and just for the logbook,

last week, I saw an ATI card with latest Catalyst drivers on a Vista 32bit work with LWJGL 1.0 out of the box. Performance was a bit decreased, but hey, it runs! :)

Sor

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 09:09:16 »
Hello,
I am new on this list (post only), but I am a very pleased user of LWJGL. You can find on http://avsynthesis.blogspot.com/ more on the application I develop. Thanks for your impressive job in developing LWGJL.

Now the problem. I had to change my PC, and all I found was a Vista loaded notebook (I was in a hurry). It is a Z53jp with an ATI x1700 card. LWGJL is not working (invalid pixel format symptom).  I have tried the lastest Catalyst driver (thus with 7.2), but noway. I have tried other opengl program, like ogre3D, it is not working too.

It seems that LWJGL should work. Do you have any indication, experience?

Thanks,
jp

Offline Matzon

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 11:20:42 »
You need to fix your drivers to run OpenGL

you could try passing:
-Dorg.lwjgl.opengl.Display.allowSoftwareOpenGL=true and see if that helps

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 12:44:23 »
>> You need to fix your drivers to run OpenGL
Yes but how? I have tried every version I have found through forums... Catalyst 7.2, the one from ASUS...

The software bypass doesn't work (GLSL), and I really need hardware acceleration.

Thanks for your help
jp

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 11:17:38 »
I have tried the lastest Catalyst driver (thus with 7.2), but noway. I have tried other opengl program, like ogre3D, it is not working too.

It seems that LWJGL should work. Do you have any indication, experience?

If no OpenGL programs are working, there's no reason to expect LWJGL to function properly. This is clearly a driver issue.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 19:35:01 »
Update on the issue:
We just bought my wife and son a new laptop to use. It has the Intel 950 integrated graphics solution running on Windows Vista Home Premium. LWJGL games load up no problem, play the sounds and everything... they just don't display any graphics whatsoever. You just get a black screen.  :P

I know Nvidia and ATI are working on OpenGL support for Vista, but does anyone know what Intel's plans are?
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com