i think i got something going...http://janedoe.homeunix.org:9449/~atsuya/KusariyukuSekai/DevIL/Data/LWJGL-DevIL-UniversalBinary-20060608.zip
it contains libIL.dylib, libILU.dylib, libILUT.dylib and liblwjgl-devil.jnilib in universal binary.
i tested them with some images and IL/ILU/ILUT works fine on PPC Mac OS X.
but ILU.create() fails to load libILU.dylib on Intel Mac OS X,
so i need to investigate that...
IL.create() works on Intel Mac OS X though.
this DevIL does support all image formats except for mng and lcms.
i found easy way to compile DevIL with external libaries.
1) compile libpng, libjpeg and others as static libaries (*.a) in any directory you want.
2) when you execute configure for devil, specify not to support those libaries that you have compiled.
for example, execute "./configure --disable-png --disable-jpeg".
3) after configure, open include/IL/config.h and comment out defines for external libaries you want to compile with.
for example, comment out "#define IL_NO_JPG" so it will be compiled with DevIL.
4) open src-IL/src/Makefile and specify where the external libraries (*.a) are located for LIBPNG and LIBJPEG and so on.
specify where the header files are located for external libraries for DEFAULT_INCLUDES.
speficy where the external libraries (*.a) are located for libIL_la_OBJECTS as well.
5) make and it should compile with external libraries.
the file is hosted on my home server and my connetion is not that good.
so please mirror it if you have a chance...