Devil on macOS X tutorial crash story...

Started by nicolas_bol2, April 30, 2006, 03:26:25

Previous topic - Next topic

nicolas_bol2

Hello all,

I am trying to use  LWJGL.DevIL on macOS X.

So i downloaded LWJGL on the website, configured classpath and -Dlibrary stuff: Crash.

Ok, so i search a little bit on google and i manage to download MAC OS X libraries on DevIL website.

Then i tried to run the tutorial again: Crash.

Searching on the forum teached me that i need to call IL.create()

Ok let's go, but doing so: Crash.

Searching a little bit more, i learned that i need to Call IL.ilInit

Ok (i pass on the fact that i had to recompile source because IL.ilInit is private), now it is still crashing am i am running out of "search forum/google" bullets:

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glGenTextures(GL11.java:1206)
   at Texture.loadTexture(Texture.java:183)
   at Game.init(Game.java:71)
   at Game.main(Game.java:41)

Line 183 of Texture.loadTexture is:

GL11.glGenTextures(scratch);

It is a little discouraging....but i won't give up ! Anybody can suggest me something ?

nicolas_bol2

Whatever, i found a working tutorial on nehe productions.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=06

Fool Running

The crash (if you still care :lol: ) is not caused by DevIL, but more likely as a result of not calling Display.Create().  GL11.glGenTextures() is an OpenGL call, not a DevIL call.
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

nicolas_bol2

Thanks "Fool Running"...

Too bad i trashed the old version, there is now way for me to investigate further....

LWJGL really needs to overhaul its tutorial, this is really a bad first impression to begin with a piece of code form the "official" site and it doesn't work.

Fool Running

Which piece of code did you try to use so someone can look at it?

I looked at a DevIL tutorial on the wiki and I think it assumes you looked at the other tutorials (for calling Display.create() and stuff). The code is designed to be a wrapper for an OpenGL texture object.... Maybe we should be more obvious that the code depends on other code... or at least more knowledge. :)
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D