Mac-Intel Version?

Started by elias4444, January 10, 2006, 19:22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Matzon

oki - I'll look into it
however, I am not aware of any intel version of devil.
devil has been in a weird state of nothingness the last 1Ã,½ year!
lots of people use it and patches are being incorporated into cvs - but no releases are being made *ponder*

miu

Good to hear that FMOD3 made it to Intel Mac, their download page doesn't exactly advertise this...

Regarding DevIL, perhaps some of you guys familiar with Universal Mac binary compilation could have a go at it? There's source code, right?  :?

Integrated Intel graphics on the new mini was a controversial move, doesn't that make minis even more "overpriced" than iMacs?

If I find one locally, I'll try to get the OpenGL Ext. Viewer report if you want.

But it would be better for you to have a "low end" HW to test for compatibility...

elias

It would be more helpful if you could try TT on it. The list of supported extensions and the OpenGL version won't help us much, I'm afraid.

- elias

miu

OK, Elias!

I'll try to download a TT demo and run it if they let me do it. Or I can bring it on a CD. I can always say that I'm only buying if TT runs on it!

But what do I do if it works? :lol:

I'll keep you posted, sooner or later our local dealers will get them.

UPDATE - Mar 09: Nobody seems to have demo units at the moment, not even the Apple store. Some stores can sell you one though...

Regards, Michal

tanukitzu

I just got a new Intel IMac and LWJGL does not work.  The Mac Intel version of Java 1.3, 1.4, and 5 all work great, but anything JNI breaks because the native JVM doesn't load Rosetta.

I have J2SE 5.0 set as the JVM under the Java Preferences pane.  

PuppyGames.net hangs ("not responding") FireFox 1.5.0.1 but Safari runs it just fine.  Tribal Trouble gives no sign of life when run (how do I find the error log for this?).

I'd like to contribute a Universal binary from my platform but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.  What I've learned from the Eclipse group is that anything using JNI needs to be recompiled as a Universal.

This is my first Mac but if someone wants to give me instructions I'll contribute as much as I can.

princec

Do any of our games (Puppygames) run on your Intel Mac? Last I heard they were working just fine.

Cas :)

numberR

Quote from: "Matzon"oki - I'll look into it
however, I am not aware of any intel version of devil.
devil has been in a weird state of nothingness the last 1Ã,½ year!
lots of people use it and patches are being incorporated into cvs - but no releases are being made *ponder*

last time i checked,
i could compile devil as universal binary using CFLAGS thing just fine.
but you know... it's devil in many ways...

tanukitzu

Quote from: "princec"Do any of our games (Puppygames) run on your Intel Mac? Last I heard they were working just fine.

TribalTrouble fails to start with this stack trace:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-1" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: null source
   at java.util.EventObject.<init>(EventObject.java:38)
   at java.awt.AWTEvent.<init>(AWTEvent.java:255)
   at java.awt.event.ComponentEvent.<init>(ComponentEvent.java:97)
   at java.awt.event.WindowEvent.<init>(WindowEvent.java:179)
   at java.awt.event.WindowEvent.<init>(WindowEvent.java:219)
   at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:620)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3907)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1774)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:182)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

tanukitzu

Quote from: "princec"Do any of our games (Puppygames) run on your Intel Mac? Last I heard they were working just fine.

Tribal Trouble and Alien Flux do not start (again, how do I get the log on these?)

Puppy Invaders, Blobbit Dash, Ultratron and Titan Attacks do work.

The stack trace I posted above was probably from the Safari applet of puppy invaders closing and not from Tribal Trouble.  My mistake.

Let me know how I can contribute.

tanukitzu

I tried installing lwjgl-macosx-0.99 on my new Intel IMac and I got the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/me/Desktop/lwjgl-macosx-0.99/native/liblwjgl.jnilib:
       at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)

princec

Tribal Trouble is written by Elias & friends at Oddlabs. My games are 'Flux, Ultratron and Titan Attacks, and I can tell you the logs should be stored under ~/<game name><version> and are called err.log and out.log generally.

There may be native log files too from the JVM but I don't know where they go on the Mac (too new to Macs!).

I'd like to find out why Alien Flux doesn't work because it's the same code as the other two...

tanukitzu

Quote from: "princec"I can tell you the logs should be stored under ~/<game name><version> and are called err.log and out.log generally.

I found the folder '~/Library/Alien Flux 1.6/' but it was empty.

There is no folder for Tribal Trouble.

Quote from: "princec"There may be native log files too from the JVM but I don't know where they go on the Mac (too new to Macs!).

I can't find the JVM log either.  You can set the log to be viewable under the 'Java Preferences' utility but the console only shows up for applets.

Any help on finding the log would be well appreciated.

miu

Hi tanukitzu!

I reported some issues to Cas @ Puppygames, here's what should work now:

Titan Attacks - one release had a config glitch, try to redownload if it doesn't start.

Alien Flux - needs to be repackaged for Universal Mac, however swapping libraries from the Titan worked for me. Let me know if you need help here.

LWJGL 0.99 has the same issue, swapping libs from Titan will make GL/AL work as I reported earlier. I may post some more detailed info (and/or the lib package) if needed.

Oddlabs' Tribal Trouble works (almost) fine for me, make sure you have the latest download.

I was getting random crashes to desktop though, logs were automatically submitted to Oddlabs. Rebooting the machine seems to have helped, I was playing and fiddling with many more-or-less working LWJGL games that day, maybe the machine was "confused"...

elias

As you can see, LWJGL actually does support universal binaries, but it is not included in 0.99. I think it's time for another release.

- elias

miu

I couldn't agree more, Elias! That's kind of what I was suggesting earlier  :wink:

I don't know how far the 1.0 is, but perhaps just a 0.99 Mac release update for Intel would be sufficient?

A look at the "inventory":

- Core GL/AL - done by Elias
- FMOD3 - available as reported by Matzon
- DevIL - tricky but compilable as reported by numberR

Anything else is left? I guess FMOD and Devil will need some Java wrapper work as well?

Just curious - who's the LWJGL "Mac platform coordinator"?

I can offer my MacTel HW and precious free time for testing. I'm able to build/debug Java projects (Eclipse); with some effort I should be able to do C in XCode too (only tried simple examples so far, not familiar with Universal issues/practices yet)...