Preferred installation system?: install shield etc..

Started by jessopb, November 09, 2005, 21:04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

jessopb

Anyone know of a quick tutorial on the best way to package and distribute a new java program?  Is there a preferred free packaging system?

jessopb

elias4444

I like launch4j (to make the jar into an exe on windows) and NSIS for installation/uninstallation.

For linux, I like "makeself".

For Mac? I don't know. Currently I'm just using Java Webstart since I don't know how to make or test a Mac install, but I hear it's pretty easy.

Edit: (since you're quick on the draw there) I do prefer launch4j over JSmooth. JSmooth is easier, but launch4j can make your app look and act much more professional, and it's also actively developed, whereas JSmooth is not.
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

CaptainJester

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)

hvor

I just packed a game (made an executable) with launch4j and it performed well, so I recommend it.
b]Hvor Games[/b]

lightbringer

Launch4j is very nice to make it look professional, but unless you have a small app with everything sitting in one jar, you might also be interested in using an installer. One was already recommended above, but personally I recommend Inno Setup.

hvor

I agree that launch4j is suited for smaller applications. I didn't try it (just am about to try), but I know there is Null Soft installer with eclipse plugin - sounds handy...
b]Hvor Games[/b]