OpenGL lighting alternatives

Started by blazko, September 20, 2005, 19:09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

blazko

Hello all,

Some days ago I read something here on lighting, but am not able to find it right now. That is not so bad cos the question I have was not answered there :-)

Okay, I am doing a 3D space game and thought that adding quite simple lighting by using glLight. Over the other thread I read about some entirely different lighting approaches that I have never heard of.

Thus, is using glLight adequate for new projects? I am in the lucky position that I do not require lighting effects that are required in ego shooters; e.g. I do not need sophisticated shadowing etc.

So, are there alternatives? If yes, are they worth the effort or are they simply too much overhead in a 3d space sim? Is glLight extensible enough for some other "extended lighting FX"? Such as glowing/aura or blurring etc?

Thank you for any advices or hints,
Timo
oing Java on GNU/Linux 2.6.10 (Ubuntu) - nVidia GeForce 6800GT@Ultra

Fool Running

glLight will just provide basic lighting.  That should be enough for what you want.  However you won't be able to do glowing/aura or blurring with it.  These require other things besides lighting (i.e. you don't get it for free).
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

blazko

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. From what I have read I feared using glLight was completely obsolete :-) So I will stay with the good old one and other things I mentioned, as you said, have to be implemented another way.

Thanks and regards,

Timo
oing Java on GNU/Linux 2.6.10 (Ubuntu) - nVidia GeForce 6800GT@Ultra