Unable to find valid display mode

Started by gdboling, June 28, 2005, 21:05:25

Previous topic - Next topic

gdboling

I am running LWJGL on a linux machine.  I am getting an error in a dialog when I try and run a simple program that displays a cube (stuff like the NEHE tutorials).

Unable To Find Valid Display Mode

I do currently have opengl 3d acceleration support on the linux box and other native opengl code (glxgears, etc) work just fine, so I know opengl is working.  I am going to try and specify a display mode statically and see what it does but in the meantime does anyone know why I would be getting this error message?  I have downloaded the latest JAR and native libs.  If you need any other information just let me know.

Thanks.

Gregg

gdboling

Ok, found the problem?  For some reason the only display mode available is my max resolution which I have set to 1920x1200.  Not sure if this is an issue with xorg or what.  I'll look at my config and make sure there are more resolutions available.  But I am running in Windowed mode so I don't know why this would be a problem.

Now for another problem.  Sound won't initialize so LWJGL just fails.  Here is the stack trace:

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not open ALC device
	at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:150)
	at lsg.render.SoundStore.init(SoundStore.java:107)
	at lsg.render.SoundStore.<init>(SoundStore.java:53)
	at lsg.Game.init(Game.java:251)
	at lsg.Game.start(Game.java:90)
	at lsg.LSG.main(LSG.java:41)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
	at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:78)

For now I am not loading my SoundStore class so I can get past this.  But it does work fine in windows and mac. Not sure why not in linux.

DustWorm2

Hey
I had a similar problem but with bits per pixel.
Under windows BPP is 16/32 etc. but somehow under Linux I get only 24.

I do not know if that helps, but might help others, since I spet a bit of time on figureing out that BPP.

Also, you might want to try to upgrade your Graphic Card drivers. That usually help to solve any problem that invloves GC.

Regards
-_-] Dust Worm [-_-] www.DustWormSoft.com [-_-]