LWJGL performance vs. Java2D

Started by gmaletic, October 22, 2005, 00:29:27

Previous topic - Next topic

gmaletic

In checking out the Space Invaders demo, it's hard not to notice that I get 100fps from the Java2D implementation and 64fps from the LWJGL implementation. Though both are plenty fast, the Java2D version is 56% faster, not an insignificant amount.

What is the explanation for this? Is there a way to improve LWJGL's performance in this scenario?

Thanks.

Matzon

What type of graphics card are you using?

aurora

I've heard that java2d on windows uses direct3d so it could be that you have better direct3d drivers than opengl drivers

gmaletic

I'm running on a Mac, OS X 10.4.2. I've got a Dual G5 2.5 GHz with the standard ATI Radeon 9600 XT (128MB VRAM) inside.

aurora

with a card that good how could it not be a driver problem? Maybe you could check if you can download new drivers for opengl?

gmaletic

I just looked on ATI's site and there are new drivers available. But as you try to download them, the site gives an ominous warning saying that they should only be installed if you're having serious problems with your graphics card, and that all necessary updates will come from Apple. I tried to investigate further by posting a support question, but unfortunately, ATI's support page is totally broken. I'll check with them on Monday when their telephone support is open again.

Thanks.

aurora

make sure your downloading the driver, it sounds to me like you might be trying to download a patch by mistake?