Main Menu

GLUT

Started by DustWorm2, June 01, 2005, 23:22:03

Previous topic - Next topic

DustWorm2

Is there GLUT under LWJGL? If there is not is there anyway to use it under java.
Thanks
-_-] Dust Worm [-_-] www.DustWormSoft.com [-_-]

Matzon

which parts of glut are you specifically looking for ?

DustWorm2

Not specific. It is just I bought this book: OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.4, 4th.
And in that book a lot of examples use GLUT, so I was wondering if LWJGL has some GLUT in it :) that's all. And if not is it important for it to have. Since I started reading that book I came to conclusion that GLUT is not so powerful, that there is a lot more on a market to replace GLUT with. So, how come people still wanna use it. :)
Regards

Matzon

The thing that most people use GLUT for (afaik), is window initialization and management. The reason for this is that creating  a window and rendering to it is rather different on Win32, MacOSX, Linux - and GLUT simpleifies this greatly because of a single interface.
But since LWJGL is a Java wrapper, we're actually doing sortof the same as GLUT, in that you just call Display.create to create a window - and we sort all of the issues per platform.

That said, there are some methods for rendering a cube or other stuff which a few use from GLUT. But its not something that anybody have looked at. If one wanted to do GLUT in Java I think it would be a fairly easy task. But from my point of view, it isn't needed.

DustWorm2

Thanks a lot, that clears out everything.
Besides I am not used to GLUT rather used to the Display way of doing things so I do not miss anything. Anyway, g2g read that heavy book :)
Regards