Help needed

Started by dmoc, May 09, 2005, 15:53:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dmoc

Hi all, I'm new to Mac (10.3.9) and have been trying to install lwjgl but with no success. I *know* it should be as ez as dumping the files in a particular dir or pointing java at the install dir, but so far all my attempts have failed. There also seems to be conflicting info on what test to run. So either my paths are wrong and/or I'm trying to run the wrong test. Could someone with a Mac run through their set-up so I can see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

dmoc

Update: finally getting somewhere. Most of the problem was that $CLASSPATH was set (it needs clearing). Next I discovered that the jars and libs need dumping in ~/Library/Java/Extensions. On my system the "Java/Extensions" dirs did not exist. Tests can then be run from anywhere using simply "java <example>", eg, "java org.lwjgl.test.opengl.Gears".

Running quickly through the tests some worked some didn't. I think the two main problems is that the resource can not be located even when the current dir is the parent of "res" or "res" itself (also tried -cp res | . | .:res | .:./res and several other variants). The other is no openAL support. Should there be an openAL lib? The result of org.lwjgl.test.openal.ALCTest is...

DEFAULT_DEVICE_SPECIFIER: null
DEVICE_SPECIFIER: null
EXTENSIONS: null
ALC_MAJOR_VERSION: 0
ALC_MINOR_VERSION: 0
Value of ALC_MAJOR_VERSION: 4096

...so it looks like no device found.

Matzon

hmm, the mac I use at work to test works very fine with -Djava.library.path
I really don't recomment throwing stuff into the extensions folder - it will come back and haunt you when you upgrade versions and stuff.

As for openal not finding any sound device, thats not a lwjgl issue :p
Best I can think of, is try upgrading your coreaudio to latest.

dmoc

Hi Brian. From trawling the web the extension directory in your home dir should be ok after upgrading. It's the root's equivalent dir that may get rewritten. As for coreaudio, just updated (May 3rd release) but it looks like openAL only comes as std with Tiger. Apple do have a link for pre-Tiger Mac's but it's to Creative's site and, as usual, leads to a dead end (Creative are one of my least favorite companies).