LWJGL 0.96 Released!

Started by Matzon, March 30, 2005, 19:59:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Matzon

Finally at last! 0.96 released.
This took a bit longer than expected due to some last minute bugs.

Notes about this release:
The new AWT component means that LWJGL now has AWT dependency. However, it isn't actually loaded
unless you use the AWTGLCanvas on Win32. If you want a completely AWT free LWJGL, you will have to
exclude that component, and recompile it yourself. Using the new /delayload option requires a compiler
that supports this.

On Linux AWT support is now required. The reason for this is because LWJGL needs to synchronize with
AWT when using X api calls. This change is not related to the AWTGLCanvas, but rather fixes weird errors
when using LWJGL while at the same time using AWT. This may result in another error:

"symbol awt_FreeDrawingSurface, version SUNWprivate_1.1 not defined in file libmawt.so with link time
reference"

which occurs when you try to run a LWJGL app in a headless environment (such as ssh). We believe this
error is a result of Sun Microsystems not exporting the required symbols when using a headless
libmawt.so

Quick overview of changes:
* Templated backend (internal change, autogenerated (without bloat!) openal and opengl native code)
* Support for AWT via the new AWTGLCanvas
* DevIL support across all platforms
* FMOD support for Linux. Mac OS X still missing in action
* glVertexPointer updated to use strong references
* Timer changed to 1 ms resolution. High performance counters don't work properly on HT and SMP machines.
* OpenGL calls are now context aware

API changes:
org.lwjgl.Sys.log has been moved to a new class org.lwjgl.LWJGLUtils.log so that using the (simple)
logging facility did not invoke a load of the native LWJGL component. The debug attribute has also been
renamed to org.lwjgl.util.Debug. This allows DevIL and FMOD to be used independently of LWJGL.

Please post any issues with this release here.

Matzon

meh - forgot to mention in the readme, but check out:
org.lwjgl.test.opengl.Gears (needed this one for a long time :D)
org.lwjgl.test.opengl.awt.AWTGears
org.lwjgl.test.opengl.awt.AWTTest

and something whipped up quickly:
org.lwjgl.test.opengl.awt.DemoBox

renanse

Hehe, just in time.  Great!

elias4444

Did the test.openal.WaveData get moved, or just removed? I was actually using that for my wave files.  :P
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

elias4444

Nevermind... just happened on it in the utils package... a much better place for it I would agree.  :D

Jerome Blouin

What's happening with the controller API known as the Controller class?

Zero

Does the lwjgl input stuff work with AWT?
Or do you have to use AWT inputs?

Matzon

Yeah - WaveData moved, for logical reasons :)

Controller API will probably come back before 1.0. It was removed coz it only worked on Win32.

AWT Input... hmm - don't actually know.. I suppose it's AWT input...

Zero

heh.  I think you left out the libopenal.so in the linux version ;)

elias4444

Hey Matzon... before we get too much further into the bug catching phase, I just wanted to send out another great big THANK YOU to the whole team who've made this release possible.  :D

tomb

Display mode switching seems to be working perfectly :D

numberR

hello guys.

first of all, nice work. i love DevIL support for all platforms.
here is some issues that i have with lwjgl-0.96 on Linux (Fedora Core 3 with java 1.5.0_01-b08):

1) error comes up everytime i quit lwjgl application.

even with org.lwjgl.test.WindowCreationTest, when i try to close window by clicking on close button, java dumps following error:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x001cff3c, pid=5824, tid=3086907072
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_01-b08 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C  0x001cff3c
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid5824.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

i first thought this issue as something to do with handling OpenGL context with thread, but i don't know.

2) org.lwjgl.test.opengl.awt.DemoBox seems not working.

window shows up, but as soon as i click on one of options on the left, it seems like nothing is happening, or is this somthing supposed to be happened?

Zero

yeah i am getting that also, i am running the newest nvidia drivers on fc3 with jdk_1.5.0_02,
i seem to remember older version of lwjgl also doing this.

stephencarmody

Excellent work folks.

I only had to change a couple of things for this update:

1. GLContext.GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object is now GLContext.getCapabilities().GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

2. glBufferDataARB(target, elements, (ByteBuffer)null, usage) is now
glBufferDataARB(target, elements, usage)

and thats it!

Happy 0.96'ing everyone.

Matzon

Quote from: "Zero"heh.  I think you left out the libopenal.so in the linux version ;)
doh - just quickly counted the number of 3rd party natives, and I had fmod in there instead of oal. Will publish a new linux client