Could not choose ARB pixel formats

Started by amoeba, July 21, 2004, 09:24:03

Previous topic - Next topic

amoeba

I get the following error when trying to run most of the demos with 0.9;
C:\lwjgl-win32-0.9>java -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_test.jar; org.lwjgl.test.WindowCreat
ionTest
Found 32 display modes
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not choose ARB pixel formats.
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Window.nCreate(Native Method)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Window.createWindow(Unknown Source)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Window.create(Unknown Source)
        at org.lwjgl.test.WindowCreationTest.main(Unknown Source)
Unable to create window!, exiting...

I have a laptop with a Radeon Mobility 7500. However I know this graphics chip can run opengl stuff, as I have done lots of stuff with opengl using c++.

amoeba

Before people dismiss this as 'driver issues', the FullScreenWindowedTest demo actually works fine - when run from the website.

But when updated, and trying to run locally with lwjgl0.9, it doesnt.

So to me, it looks like 0.9 is doing something funky when creating a window.

elias

Are you running from one of the unofficial builds? As far as I remember, LWJGL 0.9 and recent CVS shouldn't use the ARB pixel format path without being forced to (specifying samples > 0).

- elias

amoeba

Quote from: "elias"Are you running from one of the unofficial builds? As far as I remember, LWJGL 0.9 and recent CVS shouldn't use the ARB pixel format path without being forced to (specifying samples > 0).

- elias

Not quite sure what your asking.

If I run the FullScreenWindowedDemo from the website(java web start), it works fine.
If I download lwjgl0.9 and try and run from lwjgl_test.jar, it Pixel Format errors.

I have also modified the code to compile it to run with lwjgl0.9 (because they have changed/moved the Window/Display/DisplayMode classes), it comes up with this error again.

elias

Oh well, I looked it up, and 0.9 does indeed use ARB pixel format whenever possible. Here's a new CVS build, if you'd like to try that out (avoids ARB pixel format whenever possible):

http://odense.kollegienet.dk/~naur/lwjgl-20040723.zip

- elias

amoeba

That works great - thanks alot.