Sys.setProcessPriority gone?

Started by cbarrett1974, February 16, 2005, 00:46:24

Previous topic - Next topic

cbarrett1974

I've been using Sys.setProcessPriority, which has now been removed from the latest build.

Is this permanent? If so, does anyone know of another way to do this (on Windows)?

Cheers.

Matzon

We removed it, because while it works - ATI drivers were faulty using high priority. So, reasoning that ATI driers crash with it, other drivers might too.

princec

Best way to achieve this now is to pluck the source code out of CVS and make a separate library out of it (with just the one function call). It's pretty easy to misuse it...

Cas :)

elias4444

Personally, I feel it makes my game look far more professional when I mimic the rest of the industry by saying, "Please make sure you try closing any applications running in the background if you have a problem."

:D   :D   :D   :D
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

cbarrett1974

That's fair enough. To be honest I haven't really benchmarked to compare performance differences between priorities - I just guessed that it might be common for 3d apps to set high priority (especially in full screen mode).
If commercial games don't mess with priorities then I won't either!  :D

princec

All "chugging" caused by other apps running in the background is usually because of memory running out rather than CPU usage. Windows automatically degrades the process priority of applications whose windows are in the background so a game with focus generally gets all the CPU it needs anyway.

Cas :)

campnic

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you'll see this or not but i was having some problems getting the code under the Demos section to compile because it still had the SetPriority stuff in it.  I dont know how easy it is buy you might want to update that code.

Thanks,

Matzon

err - all files in a release compiles fine?
are you using 0.94 demoes with a 0.96 environment?