Huge slowdown with multi-monitor?

Started by Orangy Tang, July 25, 2004, 16:16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangy Tang

I recently had all sorts of weirdness with a multi-monitor setup and Swing (particularly webstart) so I had it disabled. Today I installed the latest nVidia drivers (at a whopping 11Mb :shock: ) which seemed to fix that, so I re-enabled multi-view.

However the framerate in my LWJGL app has taken a huge dive. What was previously easily hitting the desired 60fps is now somewhere around the 30fps and lower. Disabling multi-monitor again puts things back to normal.

Is there any reason why this should happen? Other apps seem to be unaffected, but I'll do some testing and check on that one. Or should I just ignore this as being overly picky. :oops:

cfmdobbie

Is it dropping into software mode?  Check GL_RENDERER etc.

Maybe your graphics card is now trying to allocate more resources, and is thrashing textures or something that it wasn't having to do before?  (Less likely)

Or maybe there's something about LWJGL that doesn't agree with multiple monitors - a dev will need to chime in with that.
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

spasi

Open the nvidia control panel and try setting "Multi-display hardware acceleration" to "Single-display mode" or "Multi-display performance mode". The first should give you same performance as running a single-monitor, but it will give you acceleration on your primary display only.

Orangy Tang

Dang, I swear I've seen that option somewhere, but I can't find head nor tail of it now. :oops: I wonder if they've changed it in the recent drivers. Where should I be looking for it?

spasi

At the control panel:

Performance & Quality Settings, check "Show advanced settings" and you'll find it in the "Global Driver Settings" list. IIRC, it's called "Hardware acceleration" now.