general question

Started by KleenEule, March 05, 2014, 13:29:34

Previous topic - Next topic

KleenEule

Hey guys,

first oft all: sry I'm not so good in english ;-)

I got a little problem. I started to develope games in java (for the beginning in 2D).
My problem is not to learn how i load images or something like that. I want to learn something about how is lwjgl working behind. For example a grafic about how it acts with OpenGL or something. And for reason: What's the difference to libgdx?

Can you help me there? I can't find something like that on the homepage of lwjgl.

Cornix

LWJGL is just a java binding for native OpenGL calls. (and some other little functionality, but not much)

You have native libraries: .dll on windows, .so on linux, etc, these are shipped with the LWJGL .jar packages.
The lwjgl code does nothing other then call the native functions from the native libraries by using JNI, its simple wrapper functions.

LibGDX is a graphics library which is build on top of lwjgl (for desktop pc's) and uses lwjgl internally.
While lwjgl does only give you the bare basics of OpenGL calls, libGDX takes a lot of work off your shoulders and gives you an object oriented class hierarchy to work with. It limits your freedom on one hand, but makes it simpler for you on the other. But it can only become simpler if you do it the way the authors of libGDX want you to do it.
This is usually not that bad however, since libGDX is designed pretty well and many dont mind the limited functionality and prefer the simpler functions and wrapper classes.