Index Buffer layout/format?

Started by MattCa, August 28, 2011, 10:39:35

Previous topic - Next topic

MattCa

Hi! I've been googling around for information about index buffers. The one problem I still have is how to actually 'reference' each vortex and how an index buffer is actually formatted. Could anyone provide me with a basic example of how to use one with a vortex buffer (im using the fixed pipeline, GL11/GL12).

Thanks,
Matt.

Meanz

The only thing I could come up with: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/466568-opengl-index-buffers--ibo-/

I am still a newbie, so that may be the reason I am not getting what you are looking for.

But anyways, I am pretty sure it's called "vertex" and not "vortex".

And also since I am not sure what you are looking for ill give this a try.

public void updateBufferData(int id, FloatBuffer buffer) {
        if (GLContext.getCapabilities().GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object) {
            ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, id);
            ARBVertexBufferObject.glBufferDataARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, buffer, ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_DYNAMIC_DRAW_ARB);
        }
    }

public static void updateElementData(int id, IntBuffer buffer) {
            ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, id);
            ARBVertexBufferObject.glBufferDataARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, buffer, ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_DYNAMIC_READ_ARB);
        }
    }

public int createVBOID() {
            IntBuffer buffer = BufferUtils.createIntBuffer(1);
            ARBVertexBufferObject.glGenBuffersARB(buffer);
            return buffer.get(0);
        }
        return 0;
    }

You have the function createVBOID that "creates" a new pointer to a buffer object.
And then you can add vertex data using updateBufferData and you can use the updateElementData to add vertice indexes.
Again this is still new contents for me and I am pretty sure I don't fully understand this content.