Profiling an LWJGL app?

Started by the2bears, January 05, 2007, 05:16:44

Previous topic - Next topic

the2bears

Hi all,

I've got a perplexing performance slowdown in one of my games, after 6 or so minutes (the timing of course could be irrelevant).  I tried attaching the "default" profiler for Netbeans on it but sadly that's of no use.  Things slow down far too much while it's attached to be meaningful.

edit: I should note that the slowdown only occurs after being "in-game", running it over and over a few times.

Has anyone had any luck tracking down these kinds of things?  I don't even know the right questions to ask with regards to this... it's a very simple game OpenGL-wise (Riders on the Storm) with a majority of the processor working on the fluid dynamics.  Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks,

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog

darkprophet

It is hard to see whats wrong without actually looking at the code, but on numerous occasions, i either forgot to empty out the renderbins or added the shape to the renderbin many times over per frame. As you can imagine, these build up over time and down goes the frame rate...

Thats the only slowdown over time situation I have had with my little experience.

HTH, DP

kappa

could be that you are forgetting to reset an ArrayList or some other type of list.

Fool Running

QuoteI tried attaching the "default" profiler for Netbeans on it but sadly that's of no use.  Things slow down far too much while it's attached to be meaningful.
You can start the profiler after the program is running, so you can run it until it starts slowing down then attach the profiler. You should be able to get reliable information that way (as you are in the slowdown point).
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

the2bears

Quote from: Fool Running on January 05, 2007, 15:00:56
QuoteI tried attaching the "default" profiler for Netbeans on it but sadly that's of no use.  Things slow down far too much while it's attached to be meaningful.
You can start the profiler after the program is running, so you can run it until it starts slowing down then attach the profiler. You should be able to get reliable information that way (as you are in the slowdown point).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I realize that without the source it's impossible to guess, but thanks Fool Running - I was more looking at how to profile this.  I'll give that a try, should work.  Again, thanks everybody for helping.

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog