MS JVM compatibility

Started by polskyman, September 29, 2006, 16:38:45

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf_m

Don't misunderstand this, I don't want to be picky or something, but...

If you gave me 10 € per hour, I'd have to get it done in 100 hours. That's 10 days as a single person with 10 hours per day. How do you know that this is the amount of time one would need to convert it?

Besides, if you want stuff to run especially on NT4, why not take a solution that is made for it? I suppose there are a lot of .NET solutions out there that use DirectX, you're far better off with that. Or you take SDL and write your app in C, what's the big deal? You just have to compile your app for each platform specifically then. SDL supports roughly the same platforms as LWJGL and some more:
http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=listentries&category=1

Q:   What platforms are supported?
A:   The current version supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX.

The code contains support for Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS, but these are not yet officially supported.

If you want multiplatform support as it was thought to be considering LWJGL, there's no other choice but Sun Java.

polskyman

I chose LWJGL because it is java. I will not move to SDL in C.
I am sure that it could be possible to make the LWJGL works with MS JVM now I may ask the originators of LWJGL to know if it is easy to do.

Matzon

first of all, it's not known if it _is_ possible. Theoretically, I suppose it is. However you would have to do a huge abount of work.
You would have to recreate the whole window and input subsystem in RNI. Furthermore you would have to devise your own NIO solution using RNI or use arrays instead.
Now assuming all of this is possible, you're still faced an RNI implementation that may or may not be crappy and broken - and you'll get no support from microsoft.

Unless you have a _very_ specific need or customer, I would suggest you forget about the MS JVM, at least if you want to use LWJGL.