Emulating missing OpenGL extensions?

Started by blue_tomato, July 26, 2005, 05:59:04

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_tomato

I am currently developing a game that requires some pretty standard extensions, like GL_ARB_depth_texture.

Unfortunately my laptop does not support this extension natively (it has an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for Mobile graphics card).

Is it possible to somehow emulate these extensions, preferably making my Laptop OpenGL 2.0 compliant, using a software only OpenGL driver or something similar?

I do not mind if it is slow, as this will only been used for development. Preferably such a driver should be switchable, so I can turn back to the native driver easily when not testing elements of the 3D engine requiring special extensions.

darkprophet

Anybody know where I can get the binaries? Compiling from source is just too much trouble...

DP

blue_tomato

Quote from: "darkprophet"Anybody know where I can get the binaries? Compiling from source is just too much trouble...

DP

Agree with you. Someone should put a ban to this "publish useful things in source code form" policy many projects seems to be cursed with for some reason.

Programmers are lazy people too, why not make it easy... :)

darkprophet

Its not that im lazy, its that it wont compile with Visual C++ Express edition beta 2 from M$ (its free!)...

Complains about missing header files on both 6.2.1 and 6.3...

blue_tomato

Quote from: "darkprophet"Its not that im lazy, its that it wont compile with Visual C++ Express edition beta 2 from M$ (its free!)...

Complains about missing header files on both 6.2.1 and 6.3...

Well, I went through all the hassle to compile it up, and install it. It works, but still lacks support for the extensions I need.  :roll:

I now lack the GL_ARB_pbuffer extension, but from the messy descriptions on the mesa3d.org site it seemed like it was supported... Sigh...

Seems like the only solution is to buy a new $2000 laptop....

CaseyB

...or you could buy an $700 desktop and slap a decent video card in it, unless you absolutely need to code OpenGL on the go!  :wink:

blue_tomato

Quote from: "CaseyB"...or you could buy an $700 desktop and slap a decent video card in it, unless you absolutely need to code OpenGL on the go!  :wink:
I already have a mega-powerful desktop, but the problem is I am travelling a lot and nearly all the time I am doing my hobby projects on the laptop...

I can buy a more sophisticated laptop of course, but I am really in love with the one I have now. It is perfect in every way, except the video card issue... :)

If anyone knows of a very light (not more than ~1.5kg) laptop that has a good 3D card (like nVidia 6600 go) please let me know...

darkprophet

would you mind putting those binaries up somewhere? I need them too...

DP

blue_tomato

Quote from: "darkprophet"would you mind putting those binaries up somewhere? I need them too...

DP

I have nowhere to put them, but can email if you want. About 600kb in compressed form.

darkprophet

would you mind emailing them to am_alhindawi 'at' hotmail'dot' com?

Thanks alot

blue_tomato

Quote from: "darkprophet"would you mind emailing them to am_alhindawi 'at' hotmail'dot' com?

Thanks alot

Sure, done. :)