CVS fubar'ed

Started by Matzon, January 25, 2004, 10:38:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Matzon

CVS is f*ckled these days - SF have been moving projects around, and they just finished - end result? - the CVS is now in an older state than before the move.

I have submitted a support request to SF, but will probably take a day or two :/

princec

I could host the CVS these days. After all I'm paying $150 a month for this server and using about 10% of it :/

I've got SSH sorted out for it and of course we have full administrative access to the repository :)

Anyone up for it?

Cas :)

elias

I'm not concerned about it, but for some it might be important that LWJGL is somewhere "neutral". But then again, jogl/... is hosted on the sun sites. Now that I mention it, couldn't we be hosted there too?

- elias

princec

We could be, but you know what a total pain in the arse it is getting Sun to do anything right. In fact that's almost certainly the last place I'd like to have it hosted. At least here we've got total control and responsive management and I can give you VPN access too ;)

I'm only talking about the hosting and such. We could point lwjgl.org at puppygames.net and someone could explain to me in words of one syllable how to set up my DNS server so that it resolves correctly or something.

elias

Well, as I said, I've nothing against it and I'm rather fed up witht the slow and unreliable sf. We could post a poll on jgo, maybe? And matzon spoke about using subversion instead, would that be an option?

- elias

princec

I don't really mind, so long as it's not a pain in the arse.

Matzon

well, I am actually quite happy with SF, all things considered...
However, these downtimes are rather annoying, and our own site would be nice (and especially the subversion part). However that said, there are some things going against this:
First and foremost, SF is a brand of OSS. Using puppygames.net as a host, could potentially alienate some people (but then again, we use the forums...).
Secondly, I am getting crap speeds on puppygames.net (SF is no speed demon either, but still). I'd like to investigate this further, before choosing.
Thirdly, what say you - the community?

middy

I dont give a damn where its hosted just that it works and ofcourse you dont start charging for vers 1.0  :D
um

princec

Hehe :) The plan always was we'd all get together and write a book on it when it was released and get rich from the proceeds!

princec

I don't think anyone really gives 2 shits about the OSS "brand" particularly, just that we get on and keep maintaining the code.

cfmdobbie

I don't *personally* care where it's hosted, but I think you need to consider the benefits to the SF or java.net solutions - if your CVS goes down you can at least shout at someone else to fix it, rather than stressing about it yourself, and you'll need to keep affiliation with one or the other anyway to provide issue tracking (more important post-1.0), mailing lists, newsbits, downloads etc - may as well keep your CVS there as well.  A project hosted at SF or java.net also has more authority as a Project.  If it's just a bunch of code hosted on some guy's website, it doesn't have the same draw.

Also, I agree that you should enforce a separation between Puppy Games and LWJGL - people are less likely to support an API if it looks like it lives or dies by an unknown (sorry Cas!) indie game development house.  Look at OpenAL post-Loki - it completely and utterly stalled, as they were the public face of OpenAL development.  It took two years to recover.
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

princec

All I'm offering is a bit of space and server to do it on seeing as I'm paying for it anyway. It's still strictly separate from puppygames, with its own lwjgl.org domain, and it's still mainly owned and run by Matzon and Elias. And when it crashes and goes down the people we can stress at are each other, not some faceless email address in Sun who won't respond for two weeks.

SF seems to be working again though ;) It is rather annoying how unreliable SF generally is though.