Is there a chance you guys can merge OAL and OGL binaries?

Started by Java Cool Dude, April 26, 2004, 16:52:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Java Cool Dude

Read the title.
My reason for asking is that unless I place the openal binaries into the same directory than my application, java fails to find it and throws an exception about it.
So combining gl and al binaries together would help even distribution :)
Please think about it

Matzon

huh?
what are you on???

LWJGL is 1 (one) dll.
OpenGL32.dll and OpenAL32.dll are the dll's for the binding, which we don't supply, nor can we merge them. what is confusing you is probably the name lwjglaudio.dll - this is just a renamed OpenAL32.dll, because of issues with existing OpenAL32.dll files. By  calling it lwjglaudio.dll instead of OpenAL32.dll we avoid these issues.

elias

So he's probably asking why we can't merge lwjglaudio.dll with lwjgl.dll. It might be possible given the right license conditions. I for one wouldn't mind one less dll to worry about, I even posted an idea about autogenerating the lwjgl.dll (!) a while ago on jgo...

- elias

princec

Probably far more trouble than it's worth, after all, it's only another line in the JNLP file. And lwjglaudio.dll can safely be plonked in system32 even during development as it's so rarely updated. Like, never.

Cas :)

Matzon

well, linking openal & lwjgl is out of the question, because OpenAL is lgpl. And fwiw, I've never actually had any issues (except with the new router dll, which is pure hell) - just plonk it alongside the lwjgl.dll and adjust you're jnlp file accordinly...