Doesn’t run with 8x AA on X1900 on Mac Pro

Started by SpeedRunGames, November 10, 2009, 13:22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedRunGames

Hello,

I'm a game developer using the jMonkeyEngine on top of LWJGL.
A user reported the following crash-bug:
QuoteI have a first-generation Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon X1900, and Grappling Hook refuses to start if I set antialiasing to 8, no matter the other settings. No game window appears, nothing. If I set the antialiasing to any other value, it’s fine.

So, the game crashes on a Mac, when the graphics card supports AA, but when the AA samples are to high.
Is there any way to detect on game-code-level or engine-code-level what is the maximum supported value for the AA samples?

Thank you very much,
Christian

Evil-Devil

The only way i know to find out the maximum avail AA is to create a PBuffer with the desired values. If the creation failes you know that it is not available.

elias4444

Hmmm... this is interesting. I created my Martians Vs. Robots game on a Mac Pro with the x1900 ATI card in it. 8x AA worked fine for me (although I typically ran it with only 4x). I'd test your game out for you, but I recently upgraded my graphic card, sorry.

I do remember finding a few issues with jME on my Mac Pro, although I chalked that up to having used the older version of jME. If you like, download my game and try out the 8x AA and see if it works for you or not. That could rule out the engine/code.

Edit: Oh, if you do try it out with my game, make sure to open a console window to see if it actually initializes with 8x AA or if it automatically downgrades you due to an error.
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

SpeedRunGames

Thank you for your answers! :)

Quote from: elias4444 on November 10, 2009, 17:36:22
I do remember finding a few issues with jME on my Mac Pro, although I chalked that up to having used the older version of jME. If you like, download my game and try out the 8x AA and see if it works for you or not. That could rule out the engine/code.
I use a quite old version of the engine, so I will check if there were any improvements regarding this.
Sadly I have no Mac, so debugging platform specific bugs is always a bit laborious.
Luckily there are not many platform-specific bugs.