Hello Guest

Minecraft on ARM Linux (HP Chromebook 11)

• 5 Replies
Minecraft on ARM Linux (HP Chromebook 11)
« on: September 07, 2014, 16:49:37 »
Hey everyone,

I'm incredibly unfamiliar with Java development and LWJGL in general. This may come as a disappointment to most of you but the reason I'm here is to request assistance on an issue with Minecraft. I've searched far and wide on how to make Minecraft work on ARM Linux. The reason it isn't working is because the version of LWJGL on Mojang's servers is for x86 architectures only. I've figured out that I need to break open lwjgl-platform-(version)-natives-linux.jar and replace four files: liblwjgl.so, libopenal.so, and their 64 bit counterparts. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to build them to run on ARM or find a place to download those shared objects files. If anybody could offer me assistance I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Offline abcdef

Re: Minecraft on ARM Linux (HP Chromebook 11)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 14:02:38 »
This is going to be a lot more complicated than you think.

Have a look at this

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19532

Someone ported lwjgl to the raspberry pi (which has an ARM processor). You will need to do something very similar because I think you need opengl es 3.0 support too

Report back on your progress  :)

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:24:14 »
Hey, I found Mesa EGL libraries for armhf and I'm using the LWJGL libraries from Blocky but now I think I've gone as far as I can go without assistance. It's not throwing anymore "file not found" errors but here's what I'm getting:

Detailed log: http://pastebin.com/LqYwQQU6
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:40:11 by halpme »

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 19:17:15 »
Update!

I managed to get it to run. Performance is horrendous, but a higher end Chromebook with 3d acceleration support will get the job done. Here's what you have to do.

1) Install the Oracle JVM. Instructions here: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html
2) Download the minecraft launcher and run it once, allowing it to update and then crash.
3) Install libegl1-mesa. Run the command "sudo apt-get install libegl1-mesa" in a terminal.
4) Download and compile LWJGL for the ARM platform. Instructions are found here: http://rogerallen.github.io/jetson/2014/07/31/minecraft-on-jetson-tk1/
5) Patch Minecraft with the libraries that result from the compile. What you need to do is this:
--- 1) Find the working directory for Minecraft. This is typically ~/.minecraft
--- 2) Navigate to the "versions" folder. Make a copy of the version folder you want to patch and rename it "x.x.xarm" (x.x.x being the version number)
--- 3) Open up the copied folder and change the jar and json files inside to the same name.
--- 4) Open up the json file and append "arm" after the version number for every instance of an LWJGL library you find inside (disregarding nightly builds)
--- 5) Navigate to ~/.minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl and there will be a folder for each library inside. In each of those folders you'll find a folder marked with a version number. Append "arm" to the end of each.
--- 6) Replace the libraries inside those folders with your new libraries. When you reach "lwjgl_platform", you need to break open the .jar file and delete every library except for "liblwjgl.so". Replace that with your new ARM compiled version.
--- 7) Make sure that everywhere you see a version number (typically 2.9.1) you append "arm" to the end. This is mostly so that the minecraft launcher has no idea what the files are and doesn't attempt to update them. If you patched the json file correctly, it'll still run.
--- 8) Start the game! I might make a shell script soon that does all this for you if the instructions are too complicated.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:57:53 »
I am not having much luck with the instructions from halpme above. I cant seem to get minecraft to stop overwriting my new json and hence downloading new lwjgl libs that are x86 only. Is there something else I am missing with respect to forcing minecraft to use the new json as is or is there a missing json validation issue? Thanks in advance for any help from others that have gotten this working on the arm chromebooks (or any other alternate suggestions as to how to install).

Offline Cornix

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:19:20 »
Perhaps you should ask this in a minecraft support forum. I would think your chances of getting helped are much highere there.