offscreen context

Started by renanse, August 27, 2004, 18:07:49

Previous topic - Next topic

renanse

Hey Folks,

Is there anyway I could convince the lwjgl team to add the ability to allow for creating a windowless offscreen context for rendering opengl content?  Basically, I'm building a tool to support a game and I want to be able to generate preview images to display in the tool without having an opengl window open.  Obviously, it would be preferrable to be able to use the same rendering code I currently use in the game to create these preview images.

Also along these lines, supporting such a configuration would allow an easy implementation of a LWJGL Swing panel.  I've already written something like that but you have to keep open an LWJGL window in the background for it to work.  GL4Java used this offscreen technique to do their Swing panel, so it's not really a new idea, just something we can't do yet with lwjgl.

Please consider it anyway...

elias

Doesn't Pbuffer do just that?

- elias

renanse

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.  I don't want to create a visible Window.  I'm under the impression given the sources I have (which are admittedly .9 LWJGL) that Pbuffer requires a Window to have been created.
QuoteNOTE: An OpenGL window must be created before a Pbuffer can be created.

elias

Hmm yes. That has changed in CVS so that you can create a Pbuffer without a Display.

- elias

renanse

Awesome, thanks.  I read on the JGO forum that a newer release of lwjgl would be out this week.  Is that still the case?

Matzon

yeah - We should be able to do a release tonight, or tomorrow

Matzon

meh - no builds until tomorrow - my linux box didn't want to compile yesterday, and I don't have time to do one tonight.

renanse

Sorry to bug on this, but I'd really like to get that newer build :)  Also, getting the newer lwjgl released would allow us to port jME over to supporting it.  Thanks!

cfmdobbie

ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

Matzon

!
I am ready to post - but waiting for elias to send me an FMOD build for linux - then I'll start the process of posting it on SF (takes *waaay* to long time :/)

renanse

Great, looking forward to it.  :D