Dungeon Colony - made using LWJGL

Started by w01fram, August 31, 2012, 06:44:52

Previous topic - Next topic

w01fram

Hi,

I created my first game with LWJGL and would like to get some feedback, not only with regards to the game itself, but also if you can see improvements/issues in terms of the LWJGL implementation:
I (and testers) noticed that my fan starts running high very quickly and wonder if someone would have had similar issues and advice how to resolve that.

This game is in alpha but very playable. The concept is a mix of Dungeon Keeper, Tower Defense and Minecraft style resource management.

Download here.

Please give me your feedback, I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers!

dangerdoc

Hmm. This game looks interesting. I hope you much success!
“We build but to tear down. Most of our work and resource is squandered. Our onward march is marked by devastation. Everywhere there is an appalling loss of time, effort and life. A cheerless view, but true.” - Nikola Tesla

Rednax

I tried the game, and must say it looks nice.
Just a few points that may help you:
1. I think the text is too small.
2. I have random crashes. Although it happened two out of two times I tried to play the game, I was not able to reproduce them on purpose a third time. Could it be that my master guy/monster/thingy died from hunger?
3. I miss music and ambient sounds. But I assume those will be there eventually.

th3barri3

I have not had the time to really get into it but i have one thing that may interest you. Chrome web browser flagged up the download as potentially harmful and that may deter the general user. I recommend wrapping it anyway due to some users not having the correct java version or any at all. I know its not a big urgent thing, just wanted you to be aware of it.

Btw i agree with the 'font to small' comment, And i think a couple of pixels up would do fine.

Hope to give you some more feedback soon. Trying to get my first game complete.

w01fram

Quote from: th3barri3 on October 25, 2012, 05:35:30
I have not had the time to really get into it but i have one thing that may interest you. Chrome web browser flagged up the download as potentially harmful and that may deter the general user. I recommend wrapping it anyway due to some users not having the correct java version or any at all. I know its not a big urgent thing, just wanted you to be aware of it.

Btw i agree with the 'font to small' comment, And i think a couple of pixels up would do fine.

Hope to give you some more feedback soon. Trying to get my first game complete.

Thanks for the heads up ... do you know any good tools for wrapping it up ?
And, I will overhaul the font soon, maybe get rid of my own font and replace it with something easier for the eye.

w01fram

Quote from: Rednax on September 27, 2012, 17:07:40
I tried the game, and must say it looks nice.
Just a few points that may help you:
1. I think the text is too small.
2. I have random crashes. Although it happened two out of two times I tried to play the game, I was not able to reproduce them on purpose a third time. Could it be that my master guy/monster/thingy died from hunger?
3. I miss music and ambient sounds. But I assume those will be there eventually.

Thanks for your feedback. It always helps a lot =)
1. I will change the font soon and make it bigger and more readable: No more all caps ;)
2. It could have been both, crashes or the Dungeon Master dying from hunger or being killed by a Hero. Someone suggested to not have the Dungeon Master be the main character, so that if he dies, the game doesn't end, but instead you can train another one. I am toying with that idea atm.
3. Yes - I absolutely agree with music. I still haven't found the right tunes yet. Hopefully soon!!!

I'd love more feedback, so download the free alpha and you can also follow the devlog on tumblr, i post generally at least once a week or more: http://dungeoncolony.tumblr.com/

th3barri3

Quote from: w01fram on October 29, 2012, 03:28:30
Thanks for the heads up ... do you know any good tools for wrapping it up ?
And, I will overhaul the font soon, maybe get rid of my own font and replace it with something easier for the eye.

Sorry I said anything for 2 months, but I've been working on my own projects. As for wrapping I've got no idea because I stick to applets and android. Personally I wouldn't think it would be difficult to do using C++. But I've hardly used C++. I'll be keeping a watch on your tumblr and when I have a few moments I will try a update-to-date version of the game.