glBufferDataARB ignores byte order?

Started by qp8, April 12, 2012, 03:41:31

Previous topic - Next topic

qp8

I'm working on a model loader, and so I can choose if I want to store my vertices data in big endian or little endian. And my code works fine as long as I save in little endian, which is my PC's native byte order. However if I save as big endian it doesn't work, regardless if I set byte order of the bytebuffer to big or little endian, it's as if glBufferDataARB totally ignores the byte order of the buffer. Even when I save my model in little endian, glBufferDataARB ignores the byte order even if I set it to big endian :/

Help, please  :)

Fool Running

I'm pretty sure OpenGL always uses the native ordering. Setting the order on a buffer is useful only if you put floats, ints, etc into the buffer using one of the built-in methods, it doesn't affect how OpenGL reads it.
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

Riven

There is no reason to support any other endianness that the native one, in performance sensitive/critical code.

To support it requires lots of bit fiddling. If performance it not one of your worries, you can simply do:
public static FloatBuffer ensureDirectNativeEndian(FloatBuffer fb) {
   if(fb.isDirect() && fb.order() == ByteOrder.nativeOrder()) {
      return fb;
   }

FloatBuffer copy = BufferUtils.createFloatBuffer(fb.remaining());
   copy.put(fb); // lots of bit fiddling
   copy.flip();

return copy;
}