How many FPS do you get ?

Started by nicolasbol, August 18, 2008, 00:33:18

Previous topic - Next topic

nicolasbol

Hello guys,

I'm moving to 3D and I am currently learning and exploring. I was hoping not to need too much surface removal but it seems that I won't cut it if I want my game to run on lower configuration

so, I wrote something and I'd like to know how many fps you get and what is your graphic card.

GeForce 8600GT: 850 fps
GeForce 8600M GT (MacBookPro) : 150fps

http://fabiensanglard.net/neverGiveUp/demo-2008-08-17/nevergiveup.jnlp

Here are two screenshots:

Oh, there is no collision detection yet, but you can move around with the arrow keys, shot with Z and Switch polarity with X.

Grandmaster B

Wow, extremely nice demo. I get around 100-200FPS with a mobile ATI HD2400. For this kind of game you may best use view frustum culling. Currently you are limited by fillrate, this can be optimized by drawing front-to-back, draw the objects first, then the level and last the sky with z-writing disabled. However you should not care to much about these optimizations these days. I rather hope to see more screenshots of you game soon :)

Ciardhubh

My FPS varies between 700 (looking down the "tunnel") and 1100. My graphics card is a GeForce 8800GTS. Shooting costs around 50 FPS. I get a strange artifact in the centre of the screen, though. Looks like a garbled texture:

nicolasbol

Thanks for the advices GrandMaster. Indeed, I'm going to code without much optimization and see later if I can identify big bottleneck .

@Ciardhubh, thanks for spotting this, I still draw this entity front to back instead of back to front.

Evil-Devil

Nice looking. All graphics done yourself?

@Benchmark:
minFPS: 100
maxFPS: 209
avgFPS: 150-180

System: P4 2,6GHz, 1GB RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4200

When I'm home I'll test it on my home-system. This is my office-pc ;)

Schnitter

I get here a "netx: invalid XML document syntax" error.

OpenJDK(maybe because of this), Ubuntu 8.04

I'll try to find the error and correct it myself ;)

EDIT: it *is* caused by openjdk - or netx. :/

nicolasbol

OpenJDK ? Linux people are so bizarre... ;) !

Evil-Devil: No, some of the graphics are from Ikaruga, the dreamcast shot-em up. I'm using them to work on my engine and show that I'm "serious" about writing the damn thing. I hope to meet a serious artist that will design the ships and the levels...because I tried but I suck at 3DS.

And if I can't find anybody, I'll do the 3D modeling myself anyway. I want to get it done.

Thanks again for your feedback guys, according to the numbers I got so far, I'll keep the frustrum/octree surface removal for later.