Hardware-accelerated skeletal animation with milkshape3d

Started by Optus, August 05, 2005, 01:05:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Optus

Hello everyone!
 I have just completed a module for my engine.  It is a milkshape3d loader/renderer, that I polished up pretty nicely.  It has a simple animation system, model instancing (so models' unchanging data aren't copied),  matrix skinning done on the GPU by a vertex program (vp1.1), and rendering handled by vertex arrays.  I had trouble finding much research on the subject in any language, let alone Java, so I thought I would like to share it with everyone.  I'm releasing all of the source code related to this module.  It even includes a display list-driven text system*.  The code is mostly uncommented, but I try to arrange my code clearly and logically, it shouldn't be too hard to follow. If there is enough demand I would be willing to write an in-depth tutorial on the subject.  Maybe for the wiki?

This work is based heavily upon the milkshape3d tutorial at rsn.gamedev.net, and the corresponding Java port done by Nate Johnson, released as najgl.  All together it weighs in at about 1.55mb, with all .java/.class files, model and texture data, and LWJGL binaries.  

So, is anyone willing to host this for the community?

I have a P4 3.0ghz, 512mb memory, Geforce FX5700.  I managed about 93 zombies rendering right around 60 fps. (in screen shot 2, I think it's rendering about 100 zombies).

FYI: Current issues
* Lighting is very wrong.  This is my first stab at vertex/fragment programs, and I couldn't tweak it quite right.
* It uses glDrawArrays.  Theoretically this could mean that almost 3x too much data is uploaded.  Although this is only at load-time.
* Currently depends on J3D's vecmath library.  I've heard licensing is a pain, but LWJGL's math library doesn't have quite all the functionality.

Cheers
Adam

*I might even be enticed to release the small AWT program I wrote that generates the font bitmaps for use by the system!

crash0veride007

I be very interested in taking a look your at what you got!

CaseyB

Me too actually!  I have been looking all over for something like this!  I have no idea how I missed this post!

Optus

Hi everyone, thanks for showing some interest.  While I would rather have somewhere to host it so everyone can benefit from it, I can also email the source to anyone who wants it.  CaseyB, I didn't see your email address in your profile, so let me know where you want it sent.

CaseyB

Sorry about that, I really need to update that thing!  Anyway my email address is TheBeast.13<at>gmail<dot>com.  Thank you very much for sharing!!!

buzzby

Hi

I would also be interested in what you have done can you please email it to me as well.

If you google free file hosting you should find something that will allow you to host the download.

Kokoni

Optus,

I'm also currious about your code, could you share it me please ?

Thanks in advance.

CaseyB

Any new on this yet?  I am setting up a domain and would gladly host it.  Should be up in the next week or so!

crash0veride007

CaseyB

I hate to be a pest, but I don't see the code in that project yet, any ideas as to when it should be up?  I'd really like to see it!  :lol:

crash0veride007

I have uploaded some of the code in CVS, optus will probably upload some more of stuff tonight.

https://jglmark.dev.java.net/source/browse/jglmark/

*NOTE* you must be logged into java.net

CaseyB