cal3d java bindings

Started by rcadena, December 18, 2003, 04:40:25

Previous topic - Next topic

rcadena

hi.  i just got started on java binding for the cal3d library. it's in a really preliminary state but it runs a 90% version of the cally 3d demo which shows 3 models with blended animation running on fullscreen mode using lwjgl.  

here's the link:
http://www.machine501.com/jcal3d/

a demo program (an almost complete port of cally) is included so you can check out the library in action.  it requires lwjgl 0.7.  a win32 binary is included in the archive. the dependencies for win32 are available for download too.  

i think there might be a memory leak in the native code - not because i've experienced it but because i'm not thoroughly clear on direct byte buffers and local references and i'm afraid it just might not get released when the jvm ends.

a question:
i made this binding because i'm looking to make a 3d aventure game (a la old sierra style).  so i'm looking to use lwjgl and i thought i should use a scene graph.  all the ones i've looked into are terrible slow or complicated.  i need a simple basic scene graph library that doesn't try to be a java3d clone.  any know if this exists? and if not i think it would be a useful addition as a 3rd party library to lwjgl.  

looking forward to your responses.

/r

Matzon

Nice work. Havent had any use for skeletal animation yet though  :)