Recommendations for Books, Tutorials and resources

Started by hald, May 22, 2011, 14:30:32

Previous topic - Next topic

hald

Hi All,

You can skip this part:
I have been researching Graphics Engines / APIs and have finally decided to use LWJGL for my own game project. I have about 2-3 years experience coding high level 3D graphics and modelling, but I have been wanting to move to a low level language that will allow me relatively fast prototyping. (So the combination of OpenGL and Java seems the best choice to me - and LWJGL seems to be more current than JOGL.) Which explains how I ended up here.

What I am looking for:
First of all, I cannot find out which functionalities or version of OpenGL is supported in LWJGL. This is quite relevant since I would prefer to get an OpenGL book that doesn´t waste my time with unsupported functionalities, but will stay to what I can actually implement. I wanted to buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpenGL-Programming-Guide-Official-Learning/dp/0321773039/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1306072862&sr=8-4 , but it is for OpenGL 4, what do you guys think?

Also, I saw there was a similar book called the OpenGL bible: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpenGL-SuperBible-Comprehensive-Tutorial-Reference/dp/0321712617/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306072862&sr=8-1

Which book would you recommend the opengl programming guide or bible or something 3rd? Preferably I would get a LWJGL specific book, but I havent come upon a single one.

Also any LWJGL specific tutorials beyond basic level would be greatly appreciated - so far I have found the NeHe tutorials and the Redbook examples. The NeHe LWJGL examples seem to be outdated, since they use devil for texture loading, which is not supported.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Hald

spasi

LWJGL supports OpenGL 4.1 and all new extensions. You don't have to worry about that, we usually add support for new stuff before they're even exposed to drivers. We miss some obscure/deprecated/OS-specific extensions, but if the need rises there's no trouble adding support for them, as long as some user asks.

Both books you mentioned should be useful, but I've always found that online tutorials/forums/resources are always better and more up-to-date. This is a good place to start. JavaGaming.org is also a much better place to ask about books and resources.

hald

Cool, one of my colleagues had me think that LWJGL was a behind in updates - good news.  :)

And thank you alot Spasi - these look like great resources! Much appreciated!

/Hald