How would I add basic collision to my game? (2D Topdown)

Started by silk, April 17, 2016, 02:45:11

Previous topic - Next topic

silk

I have no problem detecting collision, but I want players to not be able to go through boxes and that isn't working, I've tried to do it a few different ways and it didn't work, this code for example:

if ((x > 180)&&(x < 260)&&
        (y > 100)&&(y < 132)){
         xspeed =0;
         yspeed =0;
        }

it didn't work, the player still goes through the box, he just goes through it very slowly. Is there anything I can do? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

SilverTiger

When detecting a collision you should set your players position to be outside of the box.
Something like this pseudocode:

if (player.collidedWith(box.getLeftBorder())) {
    player.setX(box.getX() - player.getWidth());
}

if (player.collidedWith(box.getRightBorder())) {
    player.setX(box.getX() + box.getWidth());
}

if (player.collidedWith(box.getTopBorder())) {
    player.setY(box.getY() + box.getHeight());       // use this with bottom-left origin
    //player.setY(box.getY() - player.getHeight());  // use this with top-left origin
}

if (player.collidedWith(box.getBottomBorder())) {
    player.setY(box.getY() - player.getHeight());    // use this with bottom-left origin
    //player.setY(box.getY() + box.getHeight());     // use this with top-left origin
}

Cornix

Alternatively you could first check for any potential collision and only move your objects after no collision was detected.

silk

That makes sense, but how would I define the width and height of the box? I suppose I could hard code it, but how would I define them? Sorry if it's obvious, but I'm a little new to this, here's what the size of my box looks like:

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

glColor3d(0.5, 0.5, 0.5);
		glVertex2d(180, 100);
		glVertex2d(260, 100);
		glVertex2d(260, 132);
		glVertex2d(180, 132);

glEnd();

Cornix

You have to learn to program object oriented.
Write a class for your game objects. This class will hold important information like the size and position.
In a separate class you can manage all your game objects, have update cycles and collision detection / prevention.
Another class can hold your OpenGL loop and your rendering logic for showing game objects on screen.

Maybe this rough outline can help:
class GameObject {

public int getX()

public int getY()

public int getWidth()

public int getHeight()

public boolean hasCollisionWith(GameObject obj)

}
class Game {

public void addGameObject(GameObject obj)

public void removeGameObject(GameObject obj)

public void getAllGameObjects()

public void updateAllGameObjects()

}
class OpenGLView {

public void gameLoop()

public void renderGameObject(GameObject obj)

}