Intel 965/963 (GL 1.5) doesn't support VBO's

Started by Rene, August 16, 2009, 21:28:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Rene

Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with LWJGL lately, and currently I'm building a very primitive engine using LWJGL to make things a little easier. But a problem I have when I was working on the engine on my laptop is that Mr. Laptop should support VBO's, but my program crashes when I do. The graphics card is an Intel 965/963, and it supports GL 1.5.0. Since VBO's are part of the GL 1.5 specification, I thought it was safe to call glGenBuffers(). Well, looks like I was wrong. The program crashes, with the following stack trace:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Function is not supported
        at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkFunctionAddress(BufferChecks.java:64)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL15.glGenBuffers(GL15.java:100)
        at scene.VBO.createBuffers(VBO.java:51)
        at.......

What I'm doing at VBO:51 is:

(...)
IntBuffer handles = BufferUtils.createIntBuffer(2);
GL15.glGenBuffers(handles);
(...)

One handle for the vertex buffer, and one for the index buffer. But the thrown exception really indicates that the graphic drivers don't support VBO's, not that I'm doing something wrong, right?

Anyone knows how this is possible? Thanks in advance.
When I am king, they shall not have bread and shelter only, but also teachings out of books, for a full belly is little worth where the mind is starved - Mark Twain

elias4444

Intel drivers are evil, aren't they?

Use the ARB extensions instead. I've been able to use them on Intel 945 graphic chipsets just fine:

ARBVertexBufferObject is the class they're under.

=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

Rene

Thanks for your reply.
About the evil-part: totally true. But to leave a part of GL's core specs unimplemented is just... amateurish, even for Intel :P. I'll try the ARB extension tomorrow, it's getting late here. I'll let you know if it worked, but thanks already.
When I am king, they shall not have bread and shelter only, but also teachings out of books, for a full belly is little worth where the mind is starved - Mark Twain

Rene

I've just changed the code to use the ARB extension, and everything works fine now. Thanks for your help.

Gilbert Brisset

Rene

ATM I don't use shaders, but I think I will later.