String and primitive parameters/return values - Feedback request

Started by spasi, March 13, 2010, 00:45:44

Previous topic - Next topic

elFarto

Thanks for that.

Is there any plan for improving the native implementation of those methods? Currently you use the original method that expects a IntBuffer to be passed in, but when dealing with, say glGetTextures, you can write the native implementation like:

GLint foo;
glGenTextures(1, &foo);
return foo;

This would presumably be faster/more efficient as you wouldn't need to manage the buffers.

Regards
elFarto

spasi

We already have support for this (see the 6 new methods in OpenAL) and I did consider doing it for OpenGL too. The problem is that it would require a new native implementation for each alternative method and, based on some quick calculations, it would add 80-90 kb to LWJGL's native binaries. Along with the fact that all these methods are not performance sensitive, I decided it wasn't worth doing. LWJGL is already getting bloated with all these new extensions coming out every 6 months, I thought it will be important for web-deployed apps that LWJGL stays small in size.

In any case, this was a personal decision and can be changed easily if the community decides otherwise.