Odd dots while rendering

Started by Kairus101, October 07, 2012, 14:18:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Kairus101

I have been making Minecraft avatars for some time now, but since I installed my new graphics card (nvidia->sapphire), random dots/holes started appearing.

The black dots are part of a second cube that is slightly larger than the first one, where the crown is.
This isn't just the image, it isn't an IO problem, it is happening on-screen too.
I'm rendering quads, I'm just confused as to why the new graphics card affected the program, and how I should go about fixing it.

All the modifications to the rendering are below
GL_MODELVIEW;
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glDepthFunc(GL11.GL_LEQUAL);
GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D);
GL11.glAlphaFunc(GL11.GL_GEQUAL,0.5f);
GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_ALPHA_TEST);
GL11.glClearColor(160f*colorConstant, 176f*colorConstant, 224f*colorConstant, 1f);
GL11.glBlendFunc(GL11.GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL11.GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_BLEND);

GL_PROJECTION
glFrustum(-1.0f, 1.0f, -h, h, 5.0f, 60.0f);

Fool Running

Whenever I see problems like that, I immediately think "overheating" (or some hardware problem). I've also had two cards (both EVGA) that have their fan speeds really low so they overheated right from the factory. I had to use their EVGA precision software to fix the low fan speeds.

I would get a program that can tell you your current GPU temperature and make sure it is reasonable.
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

Cubic

I know this is a sort of throwaway-answer, but are your drivers up to date? Before checking whether your hardware is cooking itself or not (though you should probably do that as well), make sure nothing fishy is going on at the software side.

Kairus101

Quote from: Fool Running on October 08, 2012, 14:22:20
Whenever I see problems like that, I immediately think "overheating" (or some hardware problem). I've also had two cards (both EVGA) that have their fan speeds really low so they overheated right from the factory. I had to use their EVGA precision software to fix the low fan speeds.
I would get a program that can tell you your current GPU temperature and make sure it is reasonable.
Graphics card runs at a constant 34 Celsius, which isn't surprising, being a single spinning textured cube..

Quote from: Cubic on October 09, 2012, 09:46:06
I know this is a sort of throwaway-answer, but are your drivers up to date? Before checking whether your hardware is cooking itself or not (though you should probably do that as well), make sure nothing fishy is going on at the software side.
Downloaded the newest drivers, to which it said I already had, and AMD auto detect confirmed it, I have the latest drivers too. But, as you said, worth checking

Just so you know, it is running as an applet, which doesn't matter I'm guessing, just trying to think of anything out of the ordinary..

CodeBunny

It's limited to where you're rendering the geometry, right? You aren't getting the black specks all over the screen?

Kairus101

Quote from: CodeBunny on October 10, 2012, 04:27:11
It's limited to where you're rendering the geometry, right? You aren't getting the black specks all over the screen?
Correct, the black dots appear on the outlines of planes which are transparent on the edges