ETA Next release and 1.0 countdown?

Started by gregorypierce, July 26, 2005, 20:53:43

Previous topic - Next topic

gregorypierce

Hey folks,

Just wanted to check in and see where things were headed in the roadmap to getting the next release and 1.0 out.

Matzon

basically we just need to decide when to release 0.98.
I have some tests I need to run at my parhelia graphics card @ work, since it may or may not have some issues, specifically with fullscreen. However I am busy for this week, and perhaps into the next week too.

Having done 0.98, we need to decide whether to do a 0.99 - or go straight to 1.0RC1. The only things that I can think of that are missing, is some FMOD3 and DevIL stuff - and I am unsure whether they block LWJGL 1.0.

gregorypierce

I was under the impression that things like FMOD and DevIL support were things that were 'optional' and wouldn't be included in the base distro anyways in order to keep lwjgl 'lightweight'.

Matzon

Well, they are optional - but distributing them alone would cause us to have 11 packages for download (!!)
3xlwjgl/platform
3xfmod/platform
3xdevil/platform
1xsource
1xdocs

I think its ok to distribute it like we do now, however some developers might think that all the files are needed to make it run (which isn't the case) - and then distribute devil alongside, even though they don't use it.

I don't know how we could distribute it better and signal that fmod/devil is optional at the same time.

elias

I'd really like to have someone look into the SIS card issues before 1.0.

- elias

princec

...and some of the Mac issues. Still getting a few problems on Mac OS (white screens).

Cas :)

gregorypierce

Quote from: "princec"...and some of the Mac issues. Still getting a few problems on Mac OS (white screens).

If they are repro cases I can take a look at the Mac issues.

princec

Tricky to tell. The problems I think are based on the user's desktop screen resolution settings - too high, and LWJGL seems to end up with a white screen sometimes when some buffer can't be allocated to cover it. Trouble is we don't seem to get the exception. Or something. Wish I had a bloody Mac :(

blah

Quote from: "princec"Tricky to tell. The problems I think are based on the user's desktop screen resolution settings - too high, and LWJGL seems to end up with a white screen sometimes when some buffer can't be allocated to cover it. Trouble is we don't seem to get the exception. Or something. Wish I had a bloody Mac :(

Ah. This might explain why all LWJGL games crash on the OSX with 24" LCD at work. I had wondered...it was starting to get embarassing every time I tried to show people a cool new java game :(.

I can do testing if you want to bung me JNLP links (preferable) or JAR's...bearing in mind the mega-monitor is on someone else's desktop so it neeeds to be isolated and easy to run (i.e. JNLP good, anything else bad).

We have lots of other macs around here that are fine with LWJGL...

princec

It's actually a problem with Apple's AWT implementation running out of memory which is particularly annoying. I'm beginning to suspect that setDisplayMode is ignored on the Mac too. Grrr.

JNLP links are on my homepage - just click on the Linux download ;)

blah

Quote from: "princec"
JNLP links are on my homepage - just click on the Linux download ;)

So...anything in particular you want tested, or should I just muck about and try and narrow down what end-user behaviours break it, and what particular OS X machines?

princec