Ubuntu + LWJGL = ???

Started by CodeBunny, February 12, 2011, 01:32:41

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeBunny

So, I decided to try out Ubuntu after being a Windows fan for quite a while, and I'm enjoying the process.

Then I open up Eclipse, begin doing stuff with LWJGL, and a render process that takes 0.3 milliseconds (or less) on the same machine on my Windows boot is taking 30ms+.

Uh... how can I fix this? Is this me being incredibly idiotic with the LWJGL code and not realizing it, or is my graphics card somehow not turned on or something?

jediTofu

Could be a number of things...

-Make sure your system is up-to-date:  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
-Try using the proprietary version of your drivers, if there are ones available.
-Try using sun-java over open-jdk:  sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin && sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

Maybe your video card is not supported well (is proprietary) and so has problems with using 2D/3D acceleration.
My LWJGL programs generally run faster on Linux because uses less resources and no AV software running, but I have not tried running the program that you are running.  It could be LWJGL's fault in a certain area; I'm specifically thinking of the timer & sync.  I don't know though...
cool story, bro