LWJGL License explanation

Started by skaterdonza, June 05, 2015, 09:08:08

Previous topic - Next topic

skaterdonza

Hi, I've been trying to understand completely the license and this is what I've understood (correct me if i'm wrong)

• I can use it for developing for commercial use, having to reproduce the license as an attachment like a read me file (at first I thought I have to reproduce the license at the beggining of the game execution)

• It's not necesary to reproduce the license as a coment in the source code unless I redistribute it.

This is what i have understood, also, could someone explain me the meaning of this sentece
Quote"THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED"

Thanks in advantage and sorry for the redaction, english is not my mother tongue

Kai

This license term is pretty much common to all open source licenses, which are not sold consumer products of a company.
It means that the authors of the product under this license cannot be held responsible in any way for any
implications/effects that using this product can have to you, which you "might" otherwise assume/imply.
For example, if your computer crashes irrevocably (which you usually assume/imply NOT to happen) and all your data on your hard drives are lost because you executed the product (or you might think that this was the cause), the authors cannot be held responsible for that effect.

The term "AS IS" also mean that no guarantees are provided regarding the quality of the product.
You will get the product in its "current state" with or without any errors/bugs or misbehaviour.
This is also to make sure that the authors will not be held responsible/accountable for anything that happens to you when using the product, because you have been warned. :)

Of course no such severe effects will happen when you use LWJGL. :D

Have a Google on "Express and Implied Warranties", which gives you an explanation of these terms:
http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/what-are-express-and-implied-warranties.html

skaterdonza

Thank you very very very much  :)