Which OpenGL specifications are supported?

Started by elias4444, December 10, 2004, 23:42:14

Previous topic - Next topic

elias4444

Ok, now that I've officially ported two of my games over to lwjgl and opengl, I've got yet another question before I continue development of my next game:

What OpenGL specifications are/will-be supported by lwjgl? I'm guessing that the GL11 object is the OpenGL 1.1 specification? I noticed there were others like GL15 and GL20, but that they're quite empty right now. Will lwjgl eventually make it to 1.5 specifications? Or is it there already and it's just all in the GL11 area?

Ah, and one I almost forgot: What's the story with JOGL? I understand they support OpenGL 1.5, and that it's an "official" Sun project now. But I also noticed that the lwjgl team seems to be some of it's biggest helpers/supporters.  Are the two projects combining or something?

Oh, lot's of questions.  :roll:
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

spasi

Quote from: "elias4444"What OpenGL specifications are/will-be supported by lwjgl?

All of them. Right now we support up to and including 2.0, except a couple of constants that I haven't found anywhere (they've made the 2.0 spec public and still keeping the headers for themselves. We'll have to wait for a vendor to support it.).

Quote from: "elias4444"I noticed there were others like GL15 and GL20, but that they're quite empty right now ... Or is it there already and it's just all in the GL11 area?

Each GLXX class contains the functionality (new and old extensions) that made it to the OpenGL core at that version (check out the appendices of the spec). The GL11 class has so much functionality because it's all the basic OpenGL, what everyone supports. To use any of the other GLXX classes, you must check for driver support.