Advice: LWJGL3 for use with Oculus Rift?

Started by BrickFarmer, August 05, 2014, 14:18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

BrickFarmer

I know that lwjgl3 is still under development, but having just downloaded the source and looked at the included Gears demo running it already seems quite stable, which is especially nice to see as a mac user :)

I'm running OSX Mountain Lion and the only thing I needed to do was switch from the 1.8JDK that I just installed to 1.7JDK, although that could have been related to me getting to grips with OSX Java installations after a break of a couple of years.

Anyway I had a couple questions before going further:

At 60fps on an external monitor there appeared to be an occasional glitch in the smoothness.  Since I've been away from Java since 1.6 days, is this still likely to be garbage collection related?  Any tips on mitigating this effect?  Or is this related to GLFW?  My days of Java heap analysis are long ago and probably the tools I used dont even exist now :)

I had a look at removing the vsync by setting glfwSwapInterval to 0 with predictable results... is there an API method for setting a preferred fps? or will this have to be user controlled timers?  Not so important, just interested.

I managed to switch into fullscreen mode by passing the primaryMonitor into the CreateWindow method.  Is the the correct approach?  I dont have my Rift yet, but I suspect it is going to show up as another monitor and will need fullscreen to be useful, so I was trying to see how that might work.

Is LWJGL3 already integrated with maven?

And finally is it sensible to base a project on LWJGL3 at this point in your development cycle, or am I jumping the gun a bit?  It just sounds like you are investing a lot of time into making a clean sweep of lwjgl and so it seems a bit pointless for me to spend time getting up to speed with lwjgl2.  What do you think?
Oculus Rift CV1, MBP 2016 - 2.9 i7 - Radeon Pro 460  OSX 10.12.4,  Win7 - i5 4670K - GTX1070.
Oculus Rift VR Experiments: https://github.com/WhiteHexagon