support for LWJGL + openGL 1.1 on first gen MacBook?

Started by bartvbl, November 15, 2011, 11:45:16

Previous topic - Next topic

bartvbl

I have a rather odd question; I want to surprise my grandmother with a little 2D game (which I am currently working on) using lwjgl and openGL 1.1. Now she has a pretty old first generation MacBook (2006). According to wikipedia its graphics chip, an Intel Graphics 950, has support for openGL 1.1 . Though I am not sure whether the combination of LWJGL and openGL 1.1 would actually run without crashing on startup. So I wonder; does anyone here have experience with LWJGL running on a macbook from 2006?
Thanks in advance :)

CodeBunny

I'm not positive, but I would imagine that it should work fine... OpenGL was around in 2006, so I'd imagine she has some basic drivers.

kappa

Likely a Mac Book from 2006 is running a PPC version of OS X Tiger 10.4 and is therefore a supported LWJGL 2.x platform. OpenGL 1.1 support is very likely supported on there.

As a general point, support for PPC Macs has been abandoned by Apple and pretty much most modern applications (like Firefox, Chrome, etc) and its marketshare is below 5% of the total number of Mac's out there. Wouldn't be surprised if PPC is given the chop in a future release of the LWJGL 3.x series.

bartvbl

perfect. Precisely what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help! :)