Is DevIL ready for prime time?

Started by gregorypierce, June 07, 2005, 01:22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

gregorypierce

I'm updating a 3rd tutorial on game development using LWJGL and was interested in writing some information on DevIL if it is ready for prime time.

Is it ready to go across Windows, OSX, and Linux?

Matzon

It sorta is. There is one issue which may or may not be a big issue, depending on your situation.

Devil will work as expected on Windows, however on linux and mac it will try to load libjpeg, libpng etc. from the platfoms 'lib' folder. and this will *generally* work fine on Linux since it almost always has these libs. However on Mac it's almost always true that they aren't locatable (specifically it tries to find them in /usr/lib). Which causes DevIL to fail on Mac rather often, unless you've installed the devil libraries ahead of time.

The fix for all of this, is to statically compile the support libraries on linux and mac, which I think is what they've done on win32. However numberR and I which have tried to fix this, have yet to make it work.

So any linux/autoconf gurus out there: Please dont hesitate to contact me on either mail or via IRC (latter prefered) if you know how to help. the issue is mostly an autoconf issue, so if we fix it on linux, it *should* work fine on mac too