JOAL: Output to wav-file rather than speakers?

Started by runevision, September 15, 2004, 19:31:26

Previous topic - Next topic

runevision

Hi... I admit it's not completely game-related, but I do have a question I hope you can help me with. I hope it's not off-topic for this forum.

I'm creating a 3d animation and I'd like to generate the stereo sound for it with JOAL. The animation is pre-rendered, not real-time, so I need the sound to be saved in a wav-file rather than being played back immediately. Is this possible?

Now, I've managed to get JOAL to play back sound effects the way I want, but I'm no expert in the inner workings, so an easy-to-understand explanation is preferred... Maybe even with example code, but I feel that's perhaps asking for too much... ;)

Thanks in advance,

Rune

Matzon

This is *seriously* off topic - JOAL is a "competing" product to lwjgl's openal implementation. You should ask your question at where one does that for JOAL (jgo board perhaps?)

runevision

Ah, I was not aware of that.

However, if LWJGL is equally well or better suited for my problem, I would certainly consider using that instead of JOAL.

I'll have a look around looking for tutorials on using OpelAL with LWJGL. If you have any tips or pointers it would be much appreciated.

Rune

runevision

Quote from: "Matzon"There is some info on the documentation page:
http://lwjgl.org/documentation.php?page=tutorials/openal/devmaster/lesson1

Yes, I just found it. :) The lessons are basically the same as for JOAL (they are adapted from the same texts) and even the code only have minor differences that doesn't seem to matter. So what exactly are the advantages of using LWJGL over JOAL or vice-versa? (WHen it's only the OpelAL part of LWJGL I'm interested in, that is).

Rune

runevision

Actually, since it should be pretty easy to change my code to use LWJGL instead of JOAL, I might as well do that if it is easier and faster to get help through these LWJGL forums...

So back to my original question - with LWJGL, how would I save the OpenAL stereo output to a wav-file rather than having it played back through my speakers?

Rune